2024 Safety and Security Boot Camp
A Boot Camp for all IAFE members includes six virtual learning opportunities and an in-person field trip to the State Fair of Texas*. Designed for all fair sizes, the IAFE Safety and Security Boot Camp is a workshop series to assist member fairs with safety and security programs. The curriculum has been developed by the IAFE Safety and Security committee, which comprises industry employees with FBI, highway patrol, local police and Sheriff, and private security company backgrounds.
2024 Safety and Security Boot Camp
DATE & TIMES
February 28 – August 28, 2024
See below for specific date(s) All sessions are approximately 1.5 hours
$399* (per site)
*Optional in-person field trip additional $100 (per person)
All courses presented virtually. Optional, In-person field trip, State Fair of Texas
Presented by the IAFE Safety and Security Committee
The following workshops will be presented live utilizing Zoom.
- Active Assailant: This workshop assists attendees with identifying best practices and current activities to help prevent, prepare for, respond to, and recover from active assailant incidents. February 28, 2024, 2:00 pm CST
- Emergency Plans, A Deep Dive – The workshop will outline the fundamentals of an emergency planning doctrine. What are the steps used in your emergency planning process? And what is your organization’s jurisdiction? In addition, the presenter will assist with how you translate your plan into action. March 28, 2:00 pm CST
- Cyber Warfare – Are you prepared? Develop the skills to protect against cyber warfare. You may not have the technology skills but may be responsible for developing a plan for your organization. So, join us to prepare to fight against security threats. And if your security is breached, what does the aftermath look like? April 24, 2024, 2:00 pm CDT
- Flash Mobs – the singing Flash Mobs Have Turned the Page! What once used to be entertaining has now become a safety issue. Flash mobs are developing on our fairgrounds, and their goal is not to sing and dance but instead to disrupt your event. The presenter will also delve into how to communicate with social influencers effectively. May 22, 2024, 2:00 pm CDT
- De-Escalation: What Is It and How Do We Provide Our Staff and Volunteers Training to De-escalate volatile situations? Angry and out-of-control guests. Staff and volunteers caught up in a heated exchange. It may all be captured on a cell phone video and goes viral in seconds. Or worse. How can we identify and deal with these situations, but more importantly, train our staff and volunteers to understand and de-escalate? This session will introduce the topic of de-escalation and then drill down into scalable tactics for training staff and volunteers so that everyone can remain safe during the fair. August 8, 2024, 2:00 pm CDT
- Safety and Security Internal Communications: Discuss with your team and leaders. Join the staff of the State Fair of Texas to review interoffice safety and security communications. What are you doing? Hear how the experts communicate with their organizations’ staff, volunteers, and board members. There is a security component everywhere. Interrelationships. August 28, 2024, 2:00 pm CDT
- IAFE Safety and Security Road-Trip to the State Fair of Texas. Dates TBD (October). Where attendees will meet with the fair’s safety and security team, tour the State Fair of Texas fairgrounds, AND visit a local event center. Networking and debriefing sessions will be included with a discussion on Best Practices hosted by the IAFE Safety and Security Committee.
- The IAFE will secure discounted lodging and provide transportation from the lodging to the tours. Attendees will be responsible for their travel, lodging, and most meals. Field trip investment: $100 per person. Limited space is available; priority will be given to the individuals who complete all six Boot Camp courses.