The Consumer Protection Program (CPP)
Extensive training for IAFE members on enteric pathogens such as E. coli. Resources include the CPP Workshop, CPP Toolkit, and CPP Tune-Ups.
The IAFE, working with Dr. Stephen Neel of Technical Solutions International, developed the Consumer Protection Program workshop to help fairs understand enteric pathogens such as E.Coli and to provide information on controlling traffic flow in all animal areas (not just petting zoos) creating proper signage, installing hand-wash areas and establishing specific cleaning protocols. The CPP Workshop is offered annually at the IAFE Annual Convention and is required for the IAFE Institute of Fair Management.
The workshop is intensive training and requires approximately seven hours to complete.
CPP Workshop Format
- Part 1: Introduction to enteric pathogens: what they are, the impact on fairs, what’s at stake
- Part 2: Understanding enteric pathogens: some microbiology!
- Part 3: Analyzing your facility (everyone brings maps and diagrams of their own fair, and time is spent analyzing flow)
- Part 4: Improving Operational Procedures: signage, hand-washing, waste management, etc.
- Part 5: Site evaluation exercises: each attendee works with the expert presenters to examine their own facilities and work on ideas/plans
- Part 6: Record-keeping
- Part 7: Creating the Consumer Protection Plan
Each attendee will receive resources with the details from the PowerPoint presentation, templates, and tools to return home and develop the best plan for their fair. The IAFE provides certificates of training to each attendee who completes all components of the CPP course.Register to attend CPP
at the IAFE Convention
If you have completed the IAFE Consumer Protection (CPP) course – it is time for a TUNE-UP! The IAFE has teamed with Technical Solutions International to provide our members, who have completed the CPP course, a 90-minute CyberSeminar that addresses Site Assessment, Protocols and Procedures, Record Keeping, Training and Education, Media Relations and Crisis Communications, and Plan Implementation. More than just a refresher course – our presenters drill down to plan specifics.
CPP Tune-Up’s are offered annually. The 2023 CPP Tune-Up will be held May 23, 2023, at 2:00 pm CDT.
IAFE members have access to a basic CPP (E. coli) toolkit. This information does not constitute formal CPP training but will provide fairs with a start to their CPP plan. The CPP toolkit is also available in the IAFE library.
Contact Lori Hart, CFE, at the IAFE office for more information.